Sunday, August 28, 2011

Its love, not condemnation

Often I stop myself from saying things because i dont want to come across as being judgemental. I dont want to be because I dont know what the person has been through, their current situation or why they choose to make a certain decision. I havent 'walked a mile in their shoes' so who am i to judge their decision making?

But then i ask myself, if you love people are you not the prone to want to help them? If someone is lost and you know the way, dont you show it to them? If a man is blind and they need to cross the street, dont you lend them your eyes?

I came across an article on the internet that gave me more clarity and relief. Greg Laurie wrote about how christians are always being told by others that scripture says "Do not judge" he corrects this by saying that we are actually being told not to condemn.

Judgement(in the form of advice) and condemnation are two different things. When the pharisees brought the prostitute woman to Jesus wanting him to order her death, he said "Let he who has no sin, cast the first stone" and then when no one cast a stone he said to her "Does no one condemn you? Neither do i" but he doesnt stop there, he then also says "Go and sin no more."

The pharisee's wanted to condemn the woman and make her feel like she is a dirty,useless and deserves death. Jesus gave her an opportunity for a better life, a life where she chooses a different path than the one she has been on. From where im standing, that is not a bad thing.

Yes, I understand that not forcing your opinions/views on another is part of loving people. But love also compels me to speak up and tell you the oven is hot, before you put your hand in it. It compels me to tell you to 'turn right' if i know that turning left will lead you to a dead end.

Now i'm not a know-it-all or a perfect person(who is?). I just feel that correction which stems from love is vital. If I blindly go about things without perspective, I want those who love me to let me know BEFORE I get hurt. As much as love comforts the brokenhearted ,it also protects! So, yes out of love, I will tell my friend "I don't think thats a good idea"

No comments:

Post a Comment